Monday, September 15, 2008

Nick, Football and Homecoming

Tonight Spain Park put a double whipping on Thompson. First the Spain Park Freshmen Team beat Thompson's Freshman team by 21 to 0. Not to be out done, Spain Park's JV beat Thompson's JV 28-0. So tonight was a good night for Spain Park all way around. The best part for me was watching Nick, my oldest grandson, play.

Nick plays full back, which surprised me when he first told me because I always thought full backs were like nose guards, big and build like a fire plug. When a full back is not carrying the ball he is expected to be a blocker and Thompson's defensive line looks bigger than Nick, but when you add in his heart he gains 30 pounds. He ran for a two hard fought yard gain and blocked the defense trying to get to his QB many times. He did a good job. And I am so glad I was there to see it.

After the game we spoke about homecoming and his plans. Nick has a friend that I believe is now more than just a friend. He asked her to be his Homecoming date in a very cool way, with a song he recorded for her. He played the guitar and was singing when right in the middle he stopped and asked her to go to homecoming with him. I have to admit that was pretty cool. He also told me the idea came from his dad, Kevin, and that he would be listening to him for advice from now on. Good move Kevin!

I trust Nick, he has earned it, so tonight I asked if he wanted to use my Mustang Homecoming night. If they are going with a group the Mustang is not the best choice because the back seat was designed for carrying small kids or small pets but nothing bigger than that. He thanked me for trusting him with "Baby" (what I call my Mustang Convertible) and said he would take care of "her"...but I already knew that.

So tonight was a good night for Spain Park and a good night for Nick.....and a good night for me because I was there. Thank you Lord.

1 comment:

Shannon Johnson said...

Dad, very cool!!! I was so sad I was not there!!!! I can't believe you got to see all the action without me. I texted him and asked him if it went well....he texted me back with a simple. Ask Papa. When he came home he was totally glad you were there and told us. When he heard you called us to give us a few play by plays...he just smiled and said, dang...that's really cool of him. Like I always say...you are a good Papa! I love you and am so thankful for you!!