Friday, August 22, 2008

Football Season and Papa Duty, I love it

Well, we have a new football season underway at Berry Middle School (Scout is in the 8th grade) and Spain Park HS (Nick is a Junior) where two of my grandsons attend and both play football. So I will now be attending games on Thursday night, Friday night and then on Saturday watching my Alabama Crimson Tide. Now on Saturday, the main event is the game itself but on Thursday and Friday night it is the pre and post game activities that I enjoy as well, spending time with my grandsons and just talking.

Shannon, my daughter, has to travel occasionally and as many of you have experienced that places the parental duties on the remaining parent, Kevin. During this time I try and pitch in to help relieve the scheduling conflicts that are always present when raising a family, their trying to be in two places at one time. This is especially true during sports events.

Thursday night was Scout's season opener, a pre-season game sort of, but important never the less. Kevin had to work a little late so I went by and picked up Max (youngest), we grabbed something to eat and headed to the game. During our meal at McDs we discuss a lot of different things and some I have to wonder how we got onto that particular topic but I just go with the flow and enjoy it.

Once we got to the game, Max headed on to enjoy the social aspect of the games, visiting with his friends he had not seen in a awhile while I sat and watched the 7th grade team play...waiting on Scout's 8th grade team. I believe those aluminum bleachers are getting harder on my rear end or is it the weight I now have bearing down on it??? When Scout's team came on the field I saw him line up at wide receiver and he played a good bit of two quarters and I saw it all. I know that it is hard for me to watch an 8th grade game without having a family connection on the playing field. I know they want to win and I want them to win as well, but I really enjoy seeing the development of my grandsons on the field, year after year. From my seat I can see the plays develop and also see where they breakdown. On one play Scouts job was to drive the line backer back and away from the side lines, but he was not going to be carrying the ball, so maybe it didn't seem as important to him being the 'diversion". But that is something we all suffer from sometime, being the helper and not the star. If I sometimes find it hard showing the intensity and urgency when I am just a member of the backup, how can I I expect Scout to perform like a college or pro player in the assignment of faking out the defense....it shows up in the plays development. But he will get better with experience. I don't think the line backer was taking the bait. That we could talk about after the game. I truly believe football or any team sport builds character. Like Bear Bryant said to his players, football can help prepare you for life's challenges. How you prepare and practice and do not give up in facing adversity on the field can help in life.

"I have always tried to teach my players to be fighters. When I say that, I don't mean put up your dukes and get in a fistfight over something. I'm talking about facing adversity in your life. There is not a person alive who isn't going to have some awfully bad days in their lives. I tell my players that what I mean by fighting is when your house burns down, and your wife runs off with the drummer, and you've lost your job and all the odds are against you. What are you going to do? Most people just lay down and quit. Well, I want my people to fight back." -- Paul "Bear" Bryant

On the way home we stopped by McDs and Scout ordered some food to go and we headed to the house. Scout said "thank you for coming to my game, Papa" and that was all I needed. I think it made a difference to have me in the stands watching. And the fact that we could discuss and analyze his playing shows I am watching and I am interested and in a sense I am on the field with him during those times.

As I said, Football and Papa duty, I love it!


2 comments:

Shannon Johnson said...

You are a great papa!!!! I love this. You truly do show them so much love and interest and I cannot thank you enough for that. They will never forget all the games and metal bleachers you sat on for them! Yeah.....the bleachers get worse...you should buy a stadium seat this year. :) I love you.

Shannon Johnson said...

Hey daddy....I need a new blog from you! :) You need to write a new one or put the family update here. Love you!!