Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Scout "Tiger" Johnson

I like to play golf....and I mean PLAY because I will never make any money doing it. Golf is a game in which you are always playing against yourself, your last round, your last hole. In golf you do not have to be faster or stronger or bigger than anyone else. Even though you may play on a team you are still out there by yourself, performing to your best ability.

My middle grandson, Scout, and I went out two weeks ago to a driving range. I wen to work on my slice/hook/topping/drives and everything else that happens when you attempt to hit a small ball with a specifically designed club. Scout went because he is interested in maybe playing. After the first three or four bad hits he started to improve enough that I think with lessons he could be a good golfer. The owner and golf pro said that Scout had the right poise and posture when he was addressing the ball and could also develop into a good golfer (much better than me). As a proud "papa" I started thinking of him getting a golf scholarship and maybe one day turning pro and winning the Master's and one day buying his Papa a house on the beach. But that is still in the cloudy future. But for the day I got to spend time with my grandson, passing on what I knew about the game and instilling a good feeling about golf. I also enjoyed it that he thought I was good when the ball went 125 yards. I also explained how you can have the worst day on 17 holes, slicing or hooking, all the things that can go bad and want to almost throw your clubs in the first water trap you can find. But then on the 18th hole, when you tee off and everything goes like it should and you par the hole...that makes it a good day.

So Scout, football is fun to play and you have to function as a team with precise timing, almost function as one heart and mind. In golf you are there on your own and when you make a bad hit (which happens more often than not) it is because you did something wrong. But when everything is in sync; the poise, the swing, follow through, the hit and the ball flys thru the air straight to where you wanted it to go...it is a great feeling. It makes you want to play again or come back the next time and do it again. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed spending the time with you. In my life it was another GOOD day! Thank you Scout

1 comment:

Shannon Johnson said...

Hey Papa,

That day was amazing. I really think you could be pro any day. Well as you know I'm hoping to get a set of clubs for christmas so mabe we could play some, thats after i get some lessons. But that driving range was really fun and i hope we can go there again soon.

Love,
Scouty J