Sunday, April 19, 2009

Happy April 19th to everyone! This has been a fast paced and hectic first quarter for everyone. We have all experienced economic setbacks, stress from tax deadlines and the fears of what can happen next in our lives. But there is good news, just wait for the third day! Let me recap my own first quarter in explaining my words.

The year started out with having to find a suitable facility for Hazel, my mother in law, Diane’s mother. Hazel has Alzheimer’s and it has grown worse through last year. We have all either experienced the effects of this terrible disease within our own family or know of a close friend or relative who has had to cope with it in their own family. It robs the family of a beloved member and the younger family members of a link to the past, the history of their family. It robs the dignity and independency of the one afflicted member, and there is no known cure. Family members having to make the decisions of how to best care of their mother/father/family member with Alzheimer’s face the guilt of wondering if they are doing the right thing even when they know there is no other alternative.

During one of Diane’s almost daily visits to the nursing facility caring for Hazel she slipped on a spot of wet tile and broke her right arm. This required a 6 week cast and surgery to insert pins into her wrist to aid in the healing. Now I must include here that men may take such an injury in stride, right handed women can better understand the almost insurmountable obstacles this presents; how do you apply makeup, fix your hair or dress properly with only one hand. I must also say that Diane showed great adaptability during those days and, her own words here, learned some humility in maybe not looking the best as she saw herself. I always think she is a very beautiful lady, with or without makeup and her hair looking perfect. She has healed and has been back to work for many weeks, perfect hair, makeup and all.

Tax season, many times, is a stressful event for us all. Many are getting a refund, many more have to pay additional taxes and many of those have to come up with additional monies to pay. I know that Jesus said to render unto “the government” what is theirs, and we should but I am also remembering a popular tax song - If 10% is good enough for Jesus it should be good enough for Uncle Sam. The last part are my thoughts.

April 18th my youngest daughter, Jennifer, was married to Vince LaShum. While this is her second marriage it is Vince’s first. It is also a first for me because this time I got to dance with her at her wedding. The first time I was in the hospital recovering from a heart attack and my brother Rick had to fill in for me. Thank you, Brother. It was a great feeling to be there with my daughter and family on her day.

The third day! Now during this time I attended Easter services with my children and grandchildren at Kevin’s and Shannon’s church where I heard a very uplifting message to wait till the third day, to be a Third Day Christian. The message showed the reference of the third day throughout the bible and I cannot remember them all, but naturally the biggest was Easter Sunday or the third day and the resurrection of Jesus as Lord and Savior. We need to keep faith with God and wait, the third day is coming. Good things are coming!

July 11th, 2009 is the date for the Family reunion and I am very excited! I want to dedicate this year’s reunion to remembering family that will not be attending. I will miss Uncle Joe. If you have others that cannot attend due to illness or other reasons, please tell us so we can remember them as well. I have also decided to personally cook my WORLD famous grilled chicken for all that attend. It does involve my “secret” family recipe marinade. Please let me know if you can attend so I can assure we have enough chicken for all. If you are bringing your own “secret” family dishes please do so. If you have a recipe you want to share with the family send it on and I will post it on the website.
Also remember we will be at the same site, next to the lake and playground. It has a full playground for the kids and a roped off swimming area as well. So bring the kids, the swim suits, fishing gear and your love. Family is what matters most, makes us stronger. You can break a single stick but bundle that one stick with others and it is stronger, many times unbreakable. That is Family. So with that I close for today and look forward to a great family gathering on July 11th.

Love to all, Wayne and Diane

No comments: